Sunday, January 1, 2017

Tomboy

Happy New Year! Is everyone rested from Christmas and ready for 2017?   

I have one word for today: Tomboy! Tomboy is a fashion label out of Kansas City created by Laura McGrew. Laura has been a constant on the Kansas City creative scene since 1999. She studied painting at The Kansas City Art Institute but always knew her real calling was fashion design. I feel Laura creates timeless pieces that are versatile. 

When I saw this long asymmetrical vest at a recent KC Collaborative Holiday Popup event, I couldn't keep my eyes off it. I knew it was a very limited edition piece but I felt guilty getting something for myself right before Christmas. Michael took care of that. Sometimes husbands are pretty handy! Supporting locally designed and produced fashion is high on my list of priorities. Priced at $135, this vest seemed to be a very good investment for me.

There are so many ways I can wear this piece. Deciding of which three to show today was hard! 

Look #1. With Jeans



This look was worn to a charity event and is probably my favorite. Styling with my Tomboy are Madewell Skinny jeans, a ChiChi black layering shell and Adrienne Vittadini boots (TJ Maxx about a couple of years ago). 

The highlight of the accessories today is my M2 earrings by Mary Morris, a "new to me" Kansas City jewelry designer. I discovered her pieces at the Jeweled Gypsy's  popup shop on the Country Club Plaza. The Jeweled Gypsy usually travels around the city in their store on wheels. 

Next is my matching necklace/bracelet set that I found at my hospital's gift shop (when I got my mammogram this summer), leather gloves from TJ Maxx (years ago) and a black leather bag from Adrian Kriestler Drugs (again, you never know where you are going to find great things) and finally the Marc Jacobs sunglasses, from The RealReal.




Look #2. The Black Column



I decided to try a little dressier look. This black column has been on before (HERE). I changed the bag to my vintage Koret, probably the first vintage bag I ever bought. It was a great deal on eBay because it was missing its strap. I just bought a chain from Fire Mountain Gems and Beads and was good to go. My heels are Manolo Balhnik's (eBay years ago). They are such classics and I have worn them steadily during the years. 

My black hat is an old friend and have had it forever. I think it came from Signals.



Look #3. Dressing It Up


My final challenge to answer was if I could wear my new Tomboy vest with a dress. What do you think? The black sheath dress dates from the days when Issac Mizrahi had a line for Target. Wow, how many years ago was that? It's a great little dress that I still wear. 

I added an Alfani patent leather clutch (eBay), Etienne Aigner pumps (Dillards, over 12 years ago), long black faux leather gloves, a thrifted burgundy patterned scarf, a cuff that my youngest keeps leaving at the house and a beaded collar necklace (see below). 



A close up of my beaded collar-necklace that I found at Kansas City's The Hat Store. The polish shown is Unfaithful Red by Nubar. Unfaithful Red is a metallic with a golden sheen and was perfect for the Christmas holidays. 



The Painted Accessory

One of my biggest surprises is how much I love green polish. I found myself wearing it often during the holidays. The base green on this post is Ray by Zoya (discontinued-but Zoya has plenty other greens). 



I then topped it off with Meow by Rescue Beauty Lounge. RBL is no longer but their polish can still be found on eBay. But, of course, they are very over priced.



Bonus Look For Today

On the subject of Tomboy, I am compelled to share my Tomboy asymmetrical navy knit skirt. It is perfect for that red, white and blue combination.  





That's all I have for today so...

Adieu until the next time and in the meantime...
Happy Styling!



This week, I am linking up with Patti's Not Dead Yet Style's Visible Monday HERE Cherie's  Style Nudge's Shoe and Tell HERE, Catherine's Not Dressed As Lamb's I will Wear What I like HERE, Elegantly Dressed and Stylish Turning Heads Tuesday HERE, Living On Cloud Nine's Style Perspectives HERE, Shopping My Closet's Style Me Wednesday HERE, The Pleated Poppy's What I Wore HERE, High Altitude Style's Link-Up HERE, Fashion Should Be Fun's Fun Friday Fashion Link Up HERE, Nancy's Fashion Style's Fancy Friday , Color and Grace's Fashion Link-Up HERE Rachel's (Rachel The Hat) The Passion For Fashion Link-up HERE and Style Crone's Hat Attack HERE.


Photo credit for this week goes to Michael and my Grandson William for my portraits and myself for the nail photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment