Sunday, October 30, 2016

Inspired By The Past

Kansas City Fashion Week has come and gone. This is my third post covering those events. Usually, I would have rolled all the styles into one post. However, each of the stylings inspired something extra.

This was the third year Rachelle and I went to the Saturday night runway show. I wore pants each time. I'm not sure why I do that, it just happens. I was even planning to wear a skirt up to one week before but then went for pants, again.





This year, I was inspired by the 1930's pajama pants. Although, the French started wearing these wide legged pants in the 1920's, American women didn't start wearing this style as pure enjoyment until the 30's. This is probably the first time American women wore pants in a fashion sense. Usually, pants were only worn for practical reasons or to make political statements

I've always thought this pant style was chic. With a bottom leg width of 48 inches, my pants swish, flow and makes me feel so elegant.


I made my pants using Vogue 1168, a design by Donna Karan. Unfortunately, Vogue is not offering Donna Karan designs any longer. But, this pattern is still available across the Internet. The fabric I picked was 100% polyester Peachskin from Joann's. 

Also, I made my Mazarine Blue silk (from Mood Fabrics) blouse using Simplicity 1590. This pattern is a vintage reproduction from the 1940's and I think the two styles from the different decades go together nicely.


Silk reacts to light more than any fabric I know, which is why I love silk so much. In every photo, the blue looks a different shade, depending on the lighting. 

Part of any experience like this is the red carpet, of course. 




We always take a Selfie!




I love hand stitching and especially running stitches because I think they elevate a piece. With this blue silk being so dark, I knew that not many people would see my silk thread stitches. But I know they are there. Sometimes that is what counts. I equate it to having an incredible lining for a jacket; if it is seen or not is not important. It's just your little secret that makes you happy.

 If you are a button aficionado, these buttons are Czech glass that I found on eBay. 




My still life shows the finer points: the silk thread running stitches, the black silk bow and the metallic surface of the Nine West heels. With these, I think I have reached the height of my "heeliness". These are the highest I am ever going! It also features one of my Turkish rings, a black pearl double strand bracelet and my Jessica McClintock clutch. 


Just a Few looks from the 30's

I think these pants need to make a major comeback! What do you think?
 











I realize that not everyone can or wants to sew and so found a pair of pajama pants (or close to) from the Gap for $59. I had a Joanne coupon and my total outlay (including notions) was $31 but I also spent a week making them (on and off).


I actually bought this pattern for the top but never got it made. Maybe some day.


Vogue 1168


I was worried about how this blouse style would look on my figure. I certainly don't have the type of figure shown on this pattern front (I never do!) but I think it looks fine and I really love this design.



The Painted Accessory

I kept the nails dark and did a double layer mani. The bottom coat is Dazed by Cult Nails (no longer in business). The top glitter coat is Cirque's Laser Jet from their collection that they did for the Met's Manus x Machina exhibit. 




And the last word about moving the needle. 

Those who have followed me for a while know that I believe in the value of even the most rudimentary sewing skills. Being able to hem a garment, sew on a button of mend a seam saves both time and money. 

Beginning sewing classes can be found at local fabric stores and online at Craftsy. Craftsy offers classes in quite a few creative areas and even have free classes. A couple of free classes that I have in my class library are Mastering Zipper Techniques and Design Your Own Handbags. 

Currently, I am watching Steffani Linceum's class Pattern Drafting From Ready To Wear. I even have a non sewing class; Focaccia and Flatbreads From Around The World. Craftsy occasionally has sales on their classes. If you get on their mailing list, they will let you know when they are.

That's all I have for today so.......

I will say adieu.
I will see you next week and in the meantime, Happy Styling!




This week, I am linking up with Patti's Not Dead Yet Style's Visible Monday HERE Cherie's  Style Nudge's Shoe and Tell HERE, Catherine's Not Dressed As Lamb's I will Wear What I like HERE, Elegantly Dressed and Stylish Turning Heads Tuesday HERE, Living On Cloud Nine's Style Perspectives HERE, Shopping My Closet's Style Me Wednesday HERE, The Pleated Poppy's What I Wore HERE, High Altitude Style's Link-Up HERE, Elegance and Mommyhood's Moda Thursday HERE, Fashion Should Be Fun's Fun Friday Fashion Link Up HERE, Shelbee's Edge of the Week Link Up HERE, Nancy's Fashion Style's Fancy Friday and Rachel's (Rachel The Hat) The Passion For Fashion Link-up HERE and Style Crone's Hat Attack HERE.




Photo credit for this week goes to Michael for my photos and me for the rest with the exception of the photos from KCFW. They were found on the KCFW Facebook page.



No comments:

Post a Comment